Driver's Education Dates
September 13 – September 24, 2021 | 3:30 pm-6:30 pm | Format TBD
October 25 – November 5, 2021 | 3:30 pm-6:30 pm | Format TBD
Early bird registration fee of $325 ends 2 weeks prior to the start date of class. After that, the price increases to $350.
Deadline to register for class is 1 week prior to the start date of class.
To participate in the online format, the device you will be using for the online class MUST HAVE AUDIO AND VIDEO, or you will not be able to participate in the class.
Upon successful completion of the class, students and parents, will need to make arrangements to take the written permit test on their own. Testing locations and information can be found HERE.
Register Here for Driver's Education
DPS-DVS IN-PERSON KNOWLEDGE TESTS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
To schedule an appointment:
- Go to drive.mn.gov.
- Select Schedule or Reschedule an Exam.
- Follow the prompts.
Anyone who cannot keep an appointment should cancel their appointment online at drive.mn.gov with as much notice as possible so that appointment can be opened up for someone else.
Minnesotans will be required to complete a wellness screening before entering the exam station and should come prepared.
- Wear a face mask (required).
- Bring required documents. See here for Standard Identification Requirements
- Know your social security number.
- Bring check, cash or money order to pay the instruction permit fee and the retesting fee, if applicable.
- There is a $10 test fee for third or subsequent knowledge tests after failing the first two.
If you are younger than 18:
REQUEST TO TAKE THE KNOWLEDGE TEST ONLINE
- You must be at least 15 years old.
- Bring your certificate of enrollment (blue card) proving that you completed classroom instruction and are signed up for behind-the-wheel instruction, or bring your certificate of enrollment (pink card) proving that you are currently enrolled in a concurrent driver education course and have completed the first 15 classroom hours of the curriculum.
- A parent, court-appointed guardian, county-appointed foster parent or the director of the transitional living program you reside in will need to come with to sign and approve your application.
- If completed, bring the supplemental parental curriculum completion certificate.
- Go to drive.mn.gov and select Take a Class D Knowledge Test.
- Follow the prompts. Name, date of birth and social security number are required.
- DPS-DVS will send an email to the email address provided during registration with the following information:
- A link to the at home online knowledge test site.
- Test ticket number.
- Unique security code.
- Testing and proctor instructions.
- Proctors must be 21 or older and hold a valid Minnesota driver’s license. Proctors must agree that they will not provide assistance while proctoring the test.
- The test ticket number and security code will be needed to log in to the online knowledge testing site and complete the test.
- Once a person registers for the online knowledge test, they have 72 hours to take the test.
Taking the test online at home:
- Online testing will be available Monday through Saturday from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Once a person logs in to the testing site they have 30 minutes to complete the test before it will time out.
- When the test is complete, DPS-DVS records the test results in the driver services system.
- If they pass the test, the applicant should complete the pre-application online at drive.mn.gov before visiting an office to complete their driver’s permit application.
- If they fail the test, the applicant must follow DPS-DVS guidelines and restart the process to take the test again. A person can only take one test per day and is only eligible to complete two test attempts online. In the case of two failed tests, they will need to schedule an appointment for a third test at an open exam station and pay a $10 fee.
- For driver services questions (licenses, ID cards, driver compliance and exams), visit the DVS website and submit your question using the driver services contact forms. You can also call 651-297-3298.
- For vehicle services questions (ownership transfers, titles, liens and vehicle registration) visit the DVS website and submit your question using the vehicle services contact forms. You can also call 651-297-2126.
BEHIND THE WHEEL
We are now scheduling Behind the Wheel sessions with our instructors. New safety policies and procedures are in place for both the student and driving instructor that are required to follow in order to drive. Once your student driver has a valid permit, please call 507-379-5318 to get on a waiting list to start their 6 hours of Behind the Wheel training.